Tuesday, October 4, 2011

about to start (from 9/24/11)

With my Itinerant Artist Project (IAP) in its 12th year, and a dozen or so IAP tours under my belt, I somehow felt the need to take a different sort of road trip - one without every stop planned, one with a more open-ended creative agenda, one with a blog.

After a busy and demanding year, I'll be dropping out for a few weeks to drive to Arizona (ostensibly to give a couple of talks)...and going by way of Apsen, Colorado, where I've never been but where the manager of the Hotel Aspen wants to trade lodging for a painting.  It sounds so cool when  write it out, but right now I'm not sure why I'm doing it.  Right now I just want to be settled in a quiet place with time to reflect and do nothing.

I recall that my original reason for driving to the southwest was to sketch and paint along the Mexican border (click here for more explanation). And somehow I figured that a big, crazy trip through largely desolate landscapes would be a kind of retreat, time to get some perspective on where my life and my art have taken me so far and where they might be going.    

No comments:

Post a Comment